Bas Relief

This week I made two hats from a pattern by Kira K. Designs called Bas Relief.  I started out with the fuchsia one showed you last week, but when I finished it I discovered it was too short.  I set it aside and made one for Alex instead, having a better knowledge of how to tackle the pattern to make it fit correctly.  (Lots of ravelers commented on the fact that the pattern makes for a small hat, so I knew it might be a challenge to make it wearable going into it.)

After finishing Alex’s, I decided I needed something else to work on during our trip to the farm.  I settled on the Cloud Bolero using a skein of Manos del Uruguay, since I found that a raveler was successful in making a very cute rendition of this project with only one skein!  Unfortunately, it looks as though I’m going to have to go out and buy a second skein anyway, or frog it and use the skein for something else.  It is a super-quick project though, and I’m considering making it in all different body and sleeve lengths in all different yarns.  There are a couple of issues with the pattern that I’ve adjusted to make it more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing to me, but I’ll talk about those another time.

After finishing what I could of the bolero, I decided to go back to my fuchsia Bas Relief and make it actually fit.  Here’s what I did:

For mine (fuchsia), I CO 88 sts and did a K2 P2 twisted rib for 5 rows on size 5 needles.  Next time I would definitely use 6s or 7s, and the ribbing is so tight it is barely noticeable.  I did 2 full pattern repeats (whereas I had done 1 1/2 the first time) and the top decreases on size 7 needles.  I used Red Heart Soft Yarn held doubled throughout.

For Alex’s hat, I did 2 strands of the black Soft Yarn in a normal K2 P2 rib for 10 rows on size 7 needles.  I then cut one of the strands and instead picked up a strand of Berocco Geode to knit alongside the remaining strand of Soft Yarn.  Otherwise the rest of the pattern is the same as what I did for my own hat, though the resulting cabled portion of the hat was larger than on mine, since the Geode is slightly thinner than the Soft Yarn so it made a slightly less dense fabric.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: